The situations that normally require a guideline income assessment are when a spouse:

  • Owns a business through a privately held company.
  • Owns an unincorporated business.
  • Is a partner in a business.
  • Is self-employed.
  • Is a director, shareholder or officer in a corporation.
  • Receives cash income that is unreported on their tax return.
  • Has a significant amount of investment income or rental income.
  • Is underemployed.
  • Receives income from a tax jurisdiction outside of Ontario.
  • Has a complex corporate and business structure including multiple corporations, holding companies, family trusts, partnerships and utilizes tax minimization strategies to shield income from taxation.

Our professional services include:

  • Valuations of businesses and shares of privately-held companies.
  • Guideline income assessment reports for child support obligations, as per the Federal Child Support Guidelines.
  • Guideline income assessment for spousal support obligations as per the Spousal Support Advisory Guidelines.
  • Determination of net family property.
  • Valuation of stock options, restricted share units (RSUs), performance share units (PSUs) and other types of exotic securities.
  • Business valuations for marriage contracts ('pre-nup' agreements).
  • Litigation support.
  • Expert testimony.
  • Critique of other experts' valuation reports and income reports.
  • Calculation of contingent taxes or notional costs of disposition.
Keystone Business Valuations logo

Copyright ©  Keystone Business Advisors Inc. All rights reserved.
Chartered Business Valuators serving the GTA including Toronto, Mississauga, Oakville, Burlington, Hamilton & southern Ontario.

In the context of a divorce we can prepare a valuation report, a guideline income assessment report for spousal & child support obligations and other related services. We are also trained in the Collaborative divorce process.


Business Valuation for a Divorce

When a married couple files for divorce in Ontario they must declare the value of all their assets and liabilities as of their date of marriage and the date of separation. Generally, the increase in the value of a couple's net assets (assets less liabilities) during their marriage must be divided equally. This is typically accomplished through an equalization payment.   If one spouse owns a business, holding company, has stock options or owns other assets where value cannot be easily determined, then an independent and objective Chartered Business Valuator (CBV) may be required to determine the fair market value of the business, shares, stock options or other assets.

Guideline Income Assessment Reports - Child Support & Spousal Support

In order to determine a spouse's obligation for child and spousal support, a guideline income assessment report may be required.  An independent guideline income assessment report is usually required when an individual is self-employed or owns a business, as an individual's income according to their tax returns may not accurately reflect the income that is available income to a spouse. 

In order to accurately determine the appropriate amount of child support or spousal support, an accurate income assessment is a critical step in ensuring fairness and transparency.

We can prepare a guideline income assessment report for family law purposes this is in accordance with the Federal Child Support Guidelines (FCSG) and/or the Spousal Support Advisory Guidelines (SSAG).

Please contact us for a free consultation:

Visit our Blog

If you need a business valued for a divorce, or need a guideline income assessment, please contact us.

We are trained in the Collaborative Divorce process and are members of the Peel-Halton Collaborative Family Law group and the Hamilton-Halton Collaborative Family Law group.

Please contact us to discuss your needs.  You can telephone us at 905-592-1525 or fill out our contact form.